Neti:-Neti is also an important kriya intended for the purification of the nadis. It is our bounden duty to keep our nostrils clean. Unclean nostrils will lead to irregular breathing and irregular breathing leads to many dangerous ailments. There are many kinds of Neti. Here we will restrict to Sutr Neti, Jal Neti, Kapal Bhati (see separately) and applying mustard oil in the nostrils. These are purification methods.
Dip the sutr neti in clean water. Sit on the feet. Catch – hold of the thread at its lower end with the first finger (Tarjani) and the thumb, keeping the right hand above and the left below, as in the picture. First insert the thread slowly into the hole of that nostril through which breath is freely flowing. Push it up slowly till the thread passes through inner hole touching the throat. With the help of the forefinger of the right hand and middle finger catch -hold of the other end of the Neti and take it out slowly. Catch – hold of the end of the thread in the mouth with the right hand and the other end of the thread in the nose with the left hand. Pull the neti in and out gently and slowly three or four times and then pull it out from the mouth.
New practitioners of this kriya are advised to start with the help of Rubber neti or what is called a Catheter, as the insertion of it is easier and comfortable than the Sutr Neti.
- All the veins from the brain to the throat are purified by this kriya.
- All the ailments of eyes, nose and ear are cured by this technique.
- All dirty particles produced by pollution and inhaled inside our body through our breath such as, dust, smoke and poisonous gases are expelled out by the practice of Neti.
- It not only enhances the luster of our eyes, but removes deafness also
- Phlegm accumulated by bad cold is expelled out and the skull is purified.
- It prevents formation of cataract in our eyes.
- It is very much helpful in curing headache.
- We sometimes breathe disproportionately through the left and right nostril resulting in the sensation of heat or cold in our body. As a result it disturbs the balance of our body. Neti is considered as the most essential method of maintaining this balance.
- Clean nostrils will lead to clean and regular breath. Regular breathing activates the blood cells, regulates the blood circulation, the digestive system, the nervous system and other systems in our body.Apply Mustard Oil in the nostrilsAfter the practice of Neti, put a few drops of mustard oil in both the nostrils with the help of a dropper. Thereafter draw it inside by drawing the breath forcefully in. This will remove the dryness of the brain. It will also facilitate the practice of sutr neti on the following day. Sutr Neti displaces the mucus. Jal Neti extracts the displaced mucus out of the nostrils. Kapal Bhati dries up the inner walls of the nostrils and applying mustard oil lubricates the centre of ENT including inner walls of the nose and the throat. Don’t you find the above stages of process similar to one used in servicing your vehicle i.e. displacing and removing dust and mud by pressure of water, drying up moisture by air pressure, changing oils for lubricating points and polishing.